My lovely little (kinda shitty) kitchen

My kitchen is both my worst enemy and my favorite part of my little apartment. How is that even a thing?

When I first found out I would be moving back to Montana for my new dietitian job, my anxious heart and racing thoughts kept me wide eyed and restless, resulting in about 3 hours of sleep each night. I then went on to buy several overpriced natural sleep supplements in addition to trying some of my uncle's sleeping pills. Bad idea guys. But anyways, when that didn't work, I ended up spending my time scouring craigslist for apartments starting at 4 am each morning. At first, I found a couple somewhat promising leads before my bloodshot eyes saw a picture of this kitchen (shown below ft. me baking). 


I was so excited that I emailed and texted the contact information for the apartment. I heard back later that day (because normal people are not awake at 4 am most days), and sent in my deposit later that week. It all somehow worked out in perfect timing and in a near perfect sequence of events. 

Now I live in the apartment of my dreams on top of an old theatre in  the center of downtown. All included are high ceilings, big beautiful windows that allow for plenty of natural light, and a kitchen that makes me feel like I traveled back in time to the 60's. 

But an apartment like this does not come without some drawbacks. 
  1. I have no microwave. This doesn't really bother me much, but on nights when I am feeling particularly lazy, I would be very happy to have a microwave that can make me dinner in 2 minutes.
  2. My oven. Oh how much I despise my oven. It's really very cute. I love it's retro style and it's placement. However, I do not love how my fire alarm goes off every time I cook something in it. 
  3. It's very tiny. And I sometimes fear it is slowly falling apart. But then again, it's fully functional and as a girl who's 5'4", I fit very nicely in it, so I really have nothing to complain about.
Despite the minor drawbacks to renting an old apartment, I feel very lucky and proud of my little space. Maybe (once I finally get a couch) I'll do a little apartment tour. I think it has a very cozy feel and I've always been pretty good at decorating to my own liking. I purchased most of my furniture from antique stores partially because I'm cheap and mostly because I like unique pieces with a story behind them. 

I'm excited to show off the rest of my place so stay tuned :)

xo Hannah




Comments